Saturday, June 27, 2009

So it begins...

Jake, our first dog, came into our lives in November of 2007. We had talked about getting a dog but it was just that...talk. Then one day, my then-boyfriend-now-fiance Mario came over to my apartment and said, "we've got to talk." Now, everyone knows those are 5 dreaded words...and I had no idea they would change my life forever.

"Please don't be mad," he said. Uh-oh, I thought. "I know we've discussed getting a dog and I told you we weren't ready for one...but I've been looking...and I've found THE ONE." Double uh-oh. "I went to visit him earlier today and I fell in love...but if you don't like him, I can deal with it." -- Yeah, right!


our first picture together


Lucky for both of us, Mario's new love was a beautiful black and tan rescue dog named Echo. The people from the rescue group told us we could "try him out for the weekend," but I knew what that meant...if that dog got in my car, he wasn't going back. I took a look at Mario...and I took a look at that 35lb pup with long ears and sweet eyes, I closed my eyes and I said "let's do it."

Echo wasn't what I had imagined for a dog. I wanted a little dog, tan or white, a female -- he was a black, male dog with lion-sized paws. But through those big brown eyes I could see the most loving heart.

So it began...on our way to Petsmart to get him a collar and a bed, I named him Jake. That cool, laid back dog was definitely a Jake. In that 15 minute car ride, we knew we had made the most perfect decision...and just like that, Jake became the glue that holds our little family together and our best friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment